Educational Facts by Country
NPH USA supports the homes, healthcare and educational programs of Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (NPH) in nine countries. According to various reports of those countries:
- BOLIVIA: Children in rural areas average 4.2 years of school.
- Dominican Republic : Public investment in education is 2.3% of GDP, which ranks 122nd out of 132 countries.
- EL SALVADOR: 70% of children aged 16 and 17 do not have access to secondary education.
- GUATEMALA: Only 48% of males and 44% of females enroll in secondary school.
- HAITI: Secondary school participation rates are 22% for males and 29% for females.
- HONDURAS: Nearly 80% of children do not complete high school.
- MEXICO: Only 36% of the population has attained at least a secondary education.
- NICARAGUA: Out of 10,750 public schools, less than 52% have drinking water and less than 23% have toilets.
- PERU: 2.5 million or 34% of children aged 5 to 17 are involved in labor activities.
We believe that a quality education is the key to a better life. We strive to give each child a strong foundation of basic academic and interpersonal skills and provide an extensive variety of educational opportunities, from Montessori preschool through university, as well as vocational trade certifications. Our goal is to help the children achieve their full potential. An NPH education helps create future accountants, carpenters, doctors, farmers, mechanics, nurses, teachers, and community leaders.
NPH Peru plans to construct its school in the future. All of the other homes have on-site school facilities for grades K – 6 or higher. A total of 2,300 disadvantaged children from the communities surrounding our homes attend our schools, or receive scholarships to attend other schools.
Education at Our Homes
Many children who arrive at our homes have had inadequate schooling. If a child does not have a certificate of the last grade completed, he/she is evaluated by the home’s psychologist or school staff to determine his/her academic level. Whenever possible, children are placed in classes within their age group. However, if a child is a grade or more behind, he/she is placed in a special program or receives tutoring until caught up to their peers.
All of our schools follow the country’s guidelines set forth by their National Department of Education, which determines the content of the curriculum. In addition to core classes, electives such as art, computers, English and music are available.
|Grades Offered||Vocational Training|
|Bolivia||1 – 6||.|
|Dominican Republic||Pre-K – 11||.|
|El Salvador||Pre-K – 9||.|
|Guatemala||Pre-K – 9||*|
|Haiti||Pre-K – 9|
|Honduras||Pre-K – 9||*|
|Mexico||Pre-K – 12||*|
|Nicaragua||Pre-K – 11||*|
*National certification is available.
2017 Education By the Numbers
|160||6th grade graduates|
|225||9th grade graduates|
|185||High school graduates|
|2,479||Children from low-income households who attend NPH schools|
|189||Children living with family who receive academic scholarships to other schools|
|378||Local people employed in education|
How You Can Help
NPH spends over $7.5 million annually to provide our children with a quality education. This includes school supplies, uniforms, staff salaries, facility maintenance, and tuition and fees for those who attend off-site schools. Your gift can help our children grow into well educated, productive and self-sufficient adults.
|$500||buys desks and chairs for 5 students|
|$1,000||buys backpacks for 54 students at NPH Haiti|
|$2,500||provides 125 girls with school uniforms at NPH Mexico|
|$4,000||pays the annual salary for a teacher at NPH Honduras|
|$10,000||provides elementary education for 26 students for one year|
NPH USA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, Federal Tax ID# 65-1229309. Donations are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. All donated funds are diligently appropriated and an audited financial statement is available upon request.
• Our Homes
• Our Children
• Outreach Programs
• Healthcare Programs
• Nutrition at NPH
• Sustainability Programs (PDF)
• NPH International Educational Philosophy Fact Sheet (PDF)
• Education Fact Sheet (PDF)
• Higher Education Program
• The Seattle Institute Leadership Program
• Girls’ Empowerment Programs