NPH USA’ School Sponsorship Program provides schools with an opportunity to help provide a new beginning for a child at NPH. Your group can choose to sponsor a boy or girl of any age at any of the Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (NPH, Spanish for “Our Little Brothers and Sisters”) homes. This can be a truly special project for your class, club or group that is exciting, motivating and interesting! Your financial contributions will help provide basic necessities: food, clothing, shelter, education, medical needs and loving care. Your letters and friendship will provide important emotional support to a child who may have never had any prior to joining NPH.
The Benefits of Partnering with Us
Sponsoring a child provides schools with a way to foster community service, multiculturalism, leadership, entrepreneurship, money management, volunteerism, creativity and school spirit. It also provides a unique way to engage your students in service-learning projects by providing a direct connection with a child in need.
What Your School Receives
- LEARN the basics of philanthropy through teamwork
- Enrich (or begin) your study of another language, culture and/or country
- Develop a relationship with a less fortunate youth through correspondence
- Discover firsthand how friendship and generosity can make a lasting difference in another’s life
Tools for Teachers
- A picture of the child
- Biographical information about the child and the country where the child lives
- Informative DVD highlighting the child’s daily life and school activities
- An annual school progress report
- Personal letters from the child, in Spanish or French and translated to English
- The opportunity to incorporate a NPH USA presentation into your class curriculum
- Tools for teachers to help incorporate the sponsorship into your curriculum
Our free materials will help you explore many subjects.
Examples of Costs per Student
- CULTURE AND GEOGRAPHY: Fact sheets and DVDs teach about the countries where NPH has homes, including traditions and pastimes.
- ECONOMICS: Charts help students keep track of the money collected to support the sponsored child. Other tools encourage them to earn the money needed. Your students will learn basic economics and how to be responsible.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: Students write to their sponsored child and receive letters in return in Spanish or French with English translations. Your students will gain communication skills.
- READING: Newsletters and reports can be used for class discussion and to improve reading skills.
- SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY: Visiting the Web sites of NPH USA (www.friendsoftheorphans.org) and NPH (www.nph.org) with your class offers students the opportunity to develop computer skills and learn how to follow instructions.
- TEAMWORK: While each student is responsible for only a small amount of money, their pooled funds help them reach their common goal. Your students will learn goal setting and how to work as a team.
$360 per year*
helps provide for the basic care of one child
• School with 500 students: $360 ÷ 500 = 72 cents per student per school year
• Grade level with 60 students (2 classes of 30): $360 ÷ 60 = $6 per student per school year
• Class of 30 students: $360 ÷ 30 = $12 per student per school year
*$360 per year is the minimum amount to sponsor a child
$1,000 per year
supports a child’s education, including books, school supplies and clothing
• School with 500 students: $1,000 ÷ 500 = $2 per student per school year
• Grade level with 60 students (2 classes of 30): $1,000 ÷ 60 = $17 per student per school year
• Class of 30 students: $1,000 ÷ 30 = $33 per student per school year
$5,000 per year
fully supports the care of one child
• School with 500 students: $5,000 ÷ 500 = $10 per student per school year
• Grade level with 60 students (2 classes of 30): $5,000 ÷ 60 = $83 per student per school year
• Class of 30 students: $5,000 ÷ 30 = $167 per student per school year
Other Ways to Help
Instead of or in addition to sponsoring a child, your school may raise money for the care of all the children of NPH or even a specific project, such as school supplies for one year. Please contact us for more information.
Become a sponsor today! If you have any questions or need more information, please contact your Regional Child Sponsorship Manager.
In This Section:
School Sponsorship Program
Tips for Sponsoring a Child as a School/Group Project
Tools for Teachers
Ideas for FUNdraising Projects
• College Partner Program